[ExI] libertarian might win for a change

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Oct 22 19:36:09 UTC 2012

Subject: Re: [ExI] libertarian might win for a change

Il 21/10/2012 04:19, spike ha scritto:

>>... The tossup states are now New Hampshire, Ohio, Wisconsin, Iowa,
> Colorado and Nevada....  So if the above combination plays out, the US
> would split parties in the Whitehouse.

>...IMO, someone (more than one) would be bought for some handsome price to
change their vote from Romney to Obama and the reverse for the VP both at
the Congress, at the Senate and between the delegates...Mirco

You make an excellent point Mirco, but missed something important.  It
occurred to me as well that in the event of a 269-269 tie, those electoral
votes are worth a cool fortune.  But the part you missed is that selling a
vote in this way is apparently legal.  There is no law (that I know of) that
states that the electoral college members are not allowed to switch their
vote, even if overtly for profit.  Secondly, the amount such a vote would
bring, especially if kept secrtet, is sufficient to buy one's own island and
along with it, sufficient naval defenses to survive and protect trade
resulting from the pile of gold the electoral college vote switcher would
own.

For the record, I don't believe this will play out.  The final debate is
tonight, after which I will have a better idea, but right now I suspect that
feller from Massachusetts (don't recall the name) will likely win with a
comfortable margin over the feller from Chicago (don't recall the name.)  I
do take a risk with that comment, for I am told that using the term
"Chicago" in any context is now considered racist, a recent addition to a
long and growing list with new words being added every day.   In any case, I
fear that Johnson has few prospects against these two.