[ExI] DIY Book Scanner

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Sep 4 16:14:12 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Kelly Anderson
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 7:03 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: [ExI] DIY Book Scanner

>...I present you with a technological breakthrough that may be as
disruptive as WikiLeaks, but without quite so many scary side effects...

http://www.diybookscanner.org/

This is brilliant stuff, IMHO.

-Kelly

Thanks Kelly!  About ten years ago in this forum, we really had a deep
discussion about this notion, as memory technology was improving enough to
make it practical to scan everything and keep it in a digital format.  I
have a notion to buy such a device and start a side business scanning other
people's books.  The scanner technology at that time wasn't up to the task,
but it looks like this might work.