[ExI] Transhuman

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 15:38:02 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 7:13 AM, Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why not different social norms for different groups. Like, a
> socially-approved vision of beauty for people with wings, and another
> socially-approved vision of beauty for people with gills.

For the same reason we no longer hold people to different social
norms - in most aspect - based on the color of their skin.

A case could be made for relevant social norms (for instance, the
most beautiful black skinned folk still tend to have wide noses,
rather than the pointed noses of other ethnicities).  However, in
practice, attempting to impose social norms based on that leads
to irrelevant social norms (which I trust I do not have to elaborate
on).  There is no reason to believe this would not be the case even
if the racial differences were more functional (e.g., wings and
gills), and even easily configurable (such as via inexpensive
surgery to add or remove them).