[ExI] Transhuman

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Thu Sep 6 02:19:08 UTC 2012

Thank you BK for your insightful response. (Bty, I am chairman of Humanity+
J.)

I agree that if one modifies the body for any reason other than to enhance,
extend or expand life, it is more about body modification than
transhumanism. I think that ExI had this delineated nicely and is would
probably be wise to defer back to those seminal ideas. All the other
innovations that have occurred over the years don't change the basics, but
nicely add to the science, technology and design in engineering more
seamlessness with biology. Outside the physical body, building subpersonas
(avatars, etc.) in multiple environments renews some of the issues of
personal identity and fluidity of self and I find more original,
far-reaching ideas in this domain than in the particular visuals of physical
body design.

I think that Primo Posthuman nicely covers the domain of the transhuman:
human enhancement, body design, and simulation.

Best,

Natasha

 <http://www.natasha.cc/> Natasha Vita-More, PhD