[ExI] Fermi Paradox and Transcension

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 12:32:20 UTC 2012

I <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:

> How about:  Interstellar travel is so hard as to be
> impossible in practice?
>
> I'm not proposing a mechanism, just that idea.

Coincidentally, someone just sent me one of those 'scale of the Universe' interactive animations, and it struck me how much more 'room' there is downwards to the plank scale than upwards to the universe scale.  Maybe the only sensible place to explore and colonise is downwards to ever-smaller scales, where time and space become subjectively effectively infinite.  Feynman was greatly understating it when he said there's plenty of room at the bottom.

Maybe the universe is teeming with more life and intelligence than you could shake a billion trillion gazillion sticks at, but widely-dispersed and at a subatomic scale.

Ben Zaiboc