[ExI] Fermi Paradox and Transcension

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 22:19:41 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 4:04 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> The age of the universe is not speculation. Stars have been born and
> died for aeons before we existed. If life is common in the universe
> then we are latecomers.

### There is increasing amount of data pointing towards a Goldilocks
Earth - that we are located in a very narrow slice of time and space
that favors the development of life. Stars are not enough for life,
you also need heavier elements, which are dispersed by nova
explosions, so the first few star generations didn't have enough
metallicity to form planetary systems. You need a sufficiently low
frequency of gamma ray bursts, enough distance from the central black
hole, for multicellular life conditions have to remain stable for
hundreds of millions of years, all that makes it quite unlikely we are
latecomers.

Rafal