[ExI] ethics vs intelligence, RE: Fermi Paradox and Transcension

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 13:05:34 UTC 2012

On 11 September 2012 22:13, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> Heh.  All ethical dilemmas seem to pale in comparison to those presented to
> the families of Alzheimer's patients.

Indeed.

> For instance, imagine an AD patient who seems partially OK some mornings for
> the most part, but nearly every afternoon and evening tends to grow more and
> more agitated, confused, lost, terrified, angry, worried, combative, clearly
> not enjoying life.  But the patient sometimes has a good day, and on those
> occasions clearly states a preference to stay in their own home until there
> is nothing left of the brain.  When is it time to check the patient into
> elder care?

And even worse: what is the right time to consider euthanasia? Who
should take the decision, if any? Should instructions of the patients
be followed in the foreseeable future? What degree of competence
should be required to take such instructions seriously if the patient
is already affected?

> And if you answer that one, please try to convince me that a machine-based
> super-intelligence will be super ethical, and if you succeed at either of
> those, I will feel much better thanks.

This is a good example how how an AI may perhaps reason more clearly
or faster, but exactly as a human being or for that matter anything
else cannot spare a *value choice* when taking such decisions.

--
Stefano Vaj