[ExI] A step from humanoid to cyborg

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Sep 15 00:24:21 UTC 2012

This is very cool. Original article:
http://iopscience.iop.org/1741-2552/9/5/056012
http://iopscience.iop.org/1741-2552/9/5/056012/pdf/1741-2552_9_5_056012.pdf

Not the most advanced control (it is a fairly well-defined and
understood task with a fairly simple representation), but together with
the recent reports on Ted Berger's hippocampal prosthetic it is starting
to make me feel good about the future of neural functional prosthetics.
Nice to see that the cortical column model of the DMS task holds up. But
what we really need is a cheaper, easier and safer way of getting
stimulation into the right spots.

I bet newspapers will spin this into "chip improves decision-making".

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute