[ExI] One Per Cent: Watson, the supercomputer genius, heads for the cloud

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Sep 22 11:03:24 UTC 2012

On 21/09/2012 21:40, BillK wrote:
> Seems reasonable to me. As the article states, the first area is
> medical diagnosis where trials are producing good results. Watson
> seems to avoid the human biases that doctors have and will produce a
> more correct diagnosis.

The problem is nonhuman biases. This kind of complex system makes
certain implicit assumptions that can be very subtle, yet affect what it
does. If there is an obvious performance metric to check that it does
better than humans it doesn't matter much. But imagine that after a few
years of use it was discovered that it made more reliable diagnoses for
members of majority ethnic groups (more data available), or for some
reason tended to underdiagnose certain diseases in certain people
according to a complex pattern. There is nothing directly programmed in
to achieve this, it is just an emergent effect of the machine learning
algorithm and the existing data.

> I would associate this with another article I read that suggests that
> modern tech is changing human minds. (This may be more applicable to
> the younger generation). He suggests that modern people don't
> understand how things work anymore - they just know how to use the
> technology.

I think that has been the case for a long time. As soon as either the
mechanism of action is outside normal experience (e.g. electrical
devices) or the system becomes nontrivial (e.g. a clockwork) most people
just give up and accept that it works without any attempt at
understanding. Most Victorians could likely not explain a steam engine.

People who peek into black boxes have always been a minority. Maybe we
would be better off to ensure that there are more of them (for reasons
of reliability, democracy, innovation), but in terms of reaping the
benefits of technology we probably don't need many.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute