[ExI] Ossification (Was: riots)

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Sep 25 10:07:57 UTC 2012

On 25/09/2012 09:49, Giulio Prisco wrote:
> @Anders re "nobody gets to keep a job/office more than a century"
>
> Soon there will be no such things as "jobs." I think the trend for the
> economy to destroy "jobs" (in the 9-to-5 sense) is irreversible. BIG
> (Basic Income Guarantee) seems the only viable long-term solution to
> me. Everyone must have enough water, those who want champagne can try
> to find extra income.

I think the big deal will be offices. Imagine a professor, civil servant
or prime minister on his third century. Sure, some positions are up for
power-grabs by the people who care to fight for them, but in practice
you could end up with rather rigid high-status communities with
decisionmaking power.

As for jobs, if all the champagne-providing jobs are taken by
centenarians the youths are going to be unhappy.

I think the ossification fear is a bit overblown, but it is worth
investigating properly. If it is fairly easy to invent new jobs and
compete with incumbents, then things are fine. If the system benefits
insiders, then ossification can be really bad.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute