[ExI] Ossification (Was: riots)

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Sep 25 14:52:08 UTC 2012

>... On Behalf Of Charlie Stross

>...The real problem, though, is to find ways of destabilizing rigid
structures while encouraging social fluidity and minimizing inequality of
both opportunity and outcomes...-- Charlie

Charlie I have an idea regarding a way to destabilize rigid structures and
encourage social fluidity etc, starting in your field, professional writing.
There is no need to minimize inequality of opportunity in writing: everyone
has an opportunity to do that currently.  So we are already halfway there,
however the other half, inequality of outcomes in that profession is
enormous.  To minimize this, alongside the best seller list, we create a
worst seller list.  Clearly those on the worst seller list aren't enjoying
equality of outcome with those on the other list, so I propose that whenever
any customer goes to buy an item on the best seller list, they receive
instead an item on the worst seller list.  That scheme would minimize
inequality of outcome, starting in the field of writing, then we are on the
road to encouraging social fluidity and minimizing inequality, problem
solved.