[ExI] Space colonisation plan

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 16:49:50 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Keith Henson wrote:
> I remember discussing it with Ron Jones when it was new.
>
> But even in those days Freeman Dyson pointed out that the cost was at
> least 100 times to high people to settle space.  Same was true of
> power satellites or an attempt to put an industrial base on the moon
> or mine asteroids.
>
> But times have changed, and the tiny laser diodes in your DVD player
> have grown to where they can power spacecraft (takes GW to get out of
> the atmosphere).
>
> I have a paper "Getting Humanity off Fossil Fuels using Space Power
> Satellites launched by Laser Powered Rockets"

Ron Jones is still around and working at Boeing (who took over Rockwell).

He posted about a week ago on MAKE, discussing the chart.
He says he is now getting involved with the National Space Society.
<http://blog.makezine.com/2012/09/13/the-rockwell-international-integrated-space-plan/#comment-720128>
<http://www.nss.org/>

BillK