[ExI] riots again

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 20:21:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 5:48 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 1:35 PM,  Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Seems to me like the problems with the Muslims in the Middle East are due
> > to the political and religious leadership.
>
> Can you support this statement with reason, statistics or models?

I don't think the Koran instructs followers to riot when something offends
them. I'm not an expert, though, so I'm going on what I've heard and read.

E.g., from
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444450004578002010241044712.html

*"Is it asking too much of religious and political leaders in Muslim
communities to adopt a similar [nonviolent] attitude?*
*
*
*It needn't be. A principled defense of free speech could start by quoting
the Quran: "And it has already come down to you in the Book that when you
hear the verses of Allah [recited], they are denied [by them] and
ridiculed; so do not sit with them until they enter into another
conversation." In this light, the true test of religious conviction is
indifference, not susceptibility, to mockery."*

-Dave