[ExI] Fermi Paradox and Transcension

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Wed Sep 26 23:38:22 UTC 2012

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012, Jeff Davis wrote:

> Not being able to know the meaning of "superintelligent" is the first
> problem.  We can project in that direction though our experience with
> exceptionally intelligent humans, but beyond that darkness begins to
> fall. And beyond that, where an advanced level of complexity predicts
> the emergence of the unpredictable, we're friggin' totally in the
> dark.  I would very much like to hear someone attempt to penetrate the
> first level -- the penetrable level -- of darkness.

I think this had been penetrated quite a lot by Stanislaw Lem in "Golem
XIV" and few fragments of "Summa Technologiae". As well as some of his
"action books". I remember a scene (but I can't recall a book) where a
pilot has a conversation with calculator, and thanks to his mental
training is able to talk a calculator into performing some computation
after it decided by itself that this would have been waste of time - kind
of, like Feynman meets abacus master, only few levels up.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola