[ExI] riots again

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Sep 27 15:22:27 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Charlie Stross

>>... Ja, so where's the photographic evidence?  Should not we send them
cell phones, cameras and laptop computers to upload the video to YouTube?

>...You're talking about one of the poorest regions on the planet...

Ja, I am not suggesting they buy the cell phones.  Concerned Americans and
Europeans could donate those ten dollar digital cameras, the victims take
the pictures, pass the camera back hand to hand to anyone anywhere who has a
laptop and a phone connection.  Go directly to YouTube.  We could send those
things over there by the truckload.  We throw away used cell phones by the
ton, still perfectly operational cameras, trading it for the latest model
with a few million more pixels.

>...Forget cellphones: running water would be a good start. Ditto
electricity. And roads...

No Charlie.  Remember cell phones.  They need those things worse than the
other stuff, if it is really true that robo-bombing is causing debilitating
listlessness, which would then cause them to lack running water, electricity
and roads.

Also ...

>   ...Ever since the Vietnam war, the US military has prioritized
psychological warfare operations aimed at generating support and
discrediting opposition on the home front. The USA doesn't have actual
censorship, but it *does* have an immensely powerful pro-military lobby ...
supported and funded by the military itself. (Try to imagine what reaction
you'd get for "criticizing the troops" and then ask yourself whether that's
a natural American response, or something that's been aggressively
programmed into the cultural zeitgeist for the past couple of decades.)

>...Which is by way of saying that if you could show that footage to a jury,
in a courtroom scenario, it might work; but the general public are not a
jury and they don't have to pay attention and -- LOOK OVER THERE! SHINY!  --
Charlie

Exactly so sir, which is why I suggested YouTube.  This is a wonderfully
powerful tool which we didn't have during the Vietnam War years.  It goes
around the military-industrial complex, slips right past the US news media
and their silly distractions of the latest school teacher raping her eager
and willing students, it goes past the censors and governments.  YouTube is
our DREAM!  It is information which has gotten itself free, and that
information, once free, is pouncing ferociously at every opportunity,
ripping apart ignorance wherever it can be found.  Once that information is
on YouTube, it is THERE for anyone to access, no need for help from
governments or news majors, it is there and it is FREE!