[ExI] Obama keen on brain mapping

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Apr 4 08:27:46 UTC 2013

Seems like we are moving closer to a real project. Good news!

I am not just saying that as a neuroscientist/neuropundit, but also from
the perspective of the safety of an upload transition. The worst
scenarios are all of the type that neuroscience arrives last: we already
have powerful computers and brain scans, we just cant get them to run.
Then a breakthrough happens, and suddenly we have massive hardware
overhang (very fast, multiple uploads can be run) and rapid change
society is unlikely to keep up with. The nicer scenarios get the
neuroscience roughly right from the start, and then show increasingly
large animal models - the trend is obvious, society has a chance to
adapt, and the first uploads will not be strongly posthuman. The BRAIN
project aims at exactly what we need for increasing the chances of
neuroscience getting there in time. There are also other projects (the
EU one, and one other) that seem to be pulling in the right direction.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute