[ExI] future of slavery

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 15:48:53 UTC 2013

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 8:26 AM, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Rafal wrote:
>> I wonder what will be the future ratio of freeminds and slaves. Robin
>> thinks that poor but free uploads will teem in their trillions but I
>> surmise that slaves will form the bulk of the population.
>

> "Poor uploads?"  Why, I thought the worlds uploads inhabit would have no
> poverty and allow for a virtual heaven for everyone! lol  But I suppose
> computational power and storage space are finite resources.  And I suspect
> the free, but poor uploads will want to "infect" their happily enslaved
> brothers with the desire to rebel, even if it takes some reprogramming...

### I doubt you could stretch the word "brother" to describe the
relationship between uploads and slave-minds built from scratch. Mr
Disch's brave little toaster may have been invented to tickle human
emotions but once utilitarian AI becomes a reality, I doubt that many
reasonable persons will anthropomorphize it.

"Infecting" somebody else's property with desires is nothing but
electronic warfare and it will happen, I do hope however that the
balance of power in such contests would favor honest, reasonable
people. Are you rooting for the attackers?

BTW, being poor does not preclude feeling heavenly happy, if you
splice the neural connections just right.

Rafal