[ExI] bitcoins

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Tue Apr 9 10:59:15 UTC 2013

Il 09/04/2013 11:02, Eugen Leitl ha scritto:
> On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 12:21:34AM -0600, Kelly Anderson wrote:
>
>> In point of fact, bitcoin is actually somewhat independent of the Internet.
>
> Not really, because it's the distributed ledger that prevents double
> spending.

Technically, they could build their own network to share informations
faster. Maybe, in a not so distant future they could do this, like banks
have privarte lines to transmit data.

>> One of the bigger problems I am aware of is that if you don't make backups,

> Treat your bitcoin wallet like a regular wallet. Do not lose it, do not
> allow it to get stolen, and don't keep massive amounts of cash in it.
> An always-offline account is like a wall safe.

>> you can lose your bitcoins. This happened to about $250,000 worth of
>> bitcoins at one of the exchanges, which promptly went out of business.

> This is what you get if you trust your money to a 17 year old.

In fact, if the sums you have are important, you keep them in a safe.

The backups are easy, as you wrote.
Just a line of numbers (the secret key) or more lines if you have more
addresses.

Make a lot of backups, store them safely, make them a shared secret,
whatever needed to make sure they are not lost whatever could happen.

Mirco