[ExI] Current uploading sales brochure?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 18:56:01 UTC 2013

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 10:59 PM, Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG at verizon.net> wrote:

> I want to cover the subject of what it will actually be like to be an
> upload in extreme detail, accuracy, and honesty. To that end, I need to
> brush up on what the current claims are as to why it should be so great
> and, in the greatest possible detail, how it will work.

One scene you could do: have an upload come across a former
chassis, possibly interleaved with memories of its destruction.
"I was killed...but I know who did it and exactly how.  In theory,
I can visit the same death upon them  The difference?  They
can't come back."

Bonus points if this wasn't the original biological chassis, the
death of which spurred the upload, but just another drone body -
and if this has happened before, so the protagonist has already
wrestled with the question of revenge.

As to the day to day operation, I'd suggest analogs to disabled
people where the host is less capable than a human body - and
similar thoughts where the host is more capable.  Either way,
the upload is "living with" new limits in exactly the same way
any normal human with a long term condition that impacts
quality of life is "living with" it.  (Lose an arm, and it'll be a week
until you get a replacement?  You're one-handed for a week.
Super-strong?  You learn - quickly - how to control it, so you're
not wrecking your house; you almost certainly aren't still having
major accidents weeks later.)