[ExI] proto-bitcoin

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 22:54:46 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:44 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> You notice I never say virtual worlds, but artificial reality.
>
> The reason is that virtual has a specific meaning in CS --
> it means time-sharing of a given hardware resource, which
> implies saving and restoring state which only works when
> there's very little state to keep track of.
>
> In case of solid state minds, it's all state, so virtualization
> buys you nothing in terms of time-sharing hardware but introduces
> a large number of complications. Which doesn't mean you can't
> checkpoint, serialize state and reinstantiate on a different
> chunk of bare computronium iron.

Please explain in greater detail your distinction between virtual
world and artificial reality.  For the purpose of computing, I'd treat
virtual, artificial, simulated, et al. as conceptually isomorphic,
with any nuance separating them to likely be related to point of view
/ perspective.   In the sense of hosting environment, world and
reality are similarly similar.  :)   You might call the planet Earth
our "world" or you could refer to the zeitgeist as our "world" so
again it's a definition of terms problem.

I'm trying to imagine how we might have an artificial reality if
"artificial" means "fake" and "reality" is the opposite.  If
artificial reality is a clever oxymoron, then perhaps I've been _very_
slow to get the joke?