[ExI] Digital Consciousness .

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Wed Apr 24 18:50:19 UTC 2013

People are talking past each other, big time, when Gordon says:

>...I remain convinced that digital simulations can never have
consciousness, and that strong (conscious) AI and uploading is impossible
on digital computers...

to which John replies:

> Your belief, and all beliefs for that matter, that uploading is impossible

Surely, Gordon, you believe we will be able to reproduce what the brain
does in some artificial way, and that we'll be able to improve and
re-architect that stuff significantly, and that we'll do the same for
ourselves, essentially moving to a new, trillions of times more capable
system  i.e. uploading right?  So, everyone, please stop talking past each
other like this.

The only important part, if you ask me, is that abstracted information,
like ones and zeros, must have some hardware interpretation system, in
order to properly interpret whatever is representing ones and zeros, into
the correct ones and zeros.  And a second level of interpretation is
required, when you convert a set of such abstract ones and zeros, as if it
should be representing a phenomenal quality like redness, (so that a system
can say that is red) and so on.

While a redness quality is just a redness quality, no interpretation
required.  Sure, a redness quality can, itself, be interpreted, abstractly,
to represent things like "stop" or the word 'red' and the properties of a
ripe strawberry, but with phenomenal knowledge, what it is fundamentally
qualitatively like, is all important, and why we 'intentionally pick it'
unlike abstracted digital knowledge which, by design, as abstracted away
from whatever is being interpreted as representing it, so it, also, can be
'intentionally' aware of it and pick it in a more capable and intelligent
abstracted way.

Brent Allsop