[ExI] Current uploading sales brochure?

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 20:23:03 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 3:17 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote about
the differences between analog and digital:

http://www.amazon.com/Sync-Order-Emerges-Universe-Nature/dp/0786887214/

I just finished reading that book a couple of months ago. It is a fun read.

As to the analog vs. digital argument, I would remind you all that reality
itself is actuality digital when you dig deep enough. We have the Planck
length, nothing happens in a space smaller than that length. In the time
domain, there is no time slice smaller than the Plank time.  That is, the
time it would take a photon to travel one Planck length, which is defined
as 1.6x10-35 meters. Thus, Planck time is about 10^-43 seconds.

So any argument that starts with "the brain is analog, therefore it cannot
be simulated in a digital computer" is just plain old fashioned wrong. It
may take one HELL of a computer, and it might not be able to run in real
time, but you can say pretty definitively that it is theoretically possible.

Any physics gurus who think I'm wrong about this, please chime in.

-Kelly