[ExI] controls engineers dream

spike spike at rainier66.com
Thu Apr 25 00:16:12 UTC 2013

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Stephen Van
Sickle
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:32 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] controls engineers dream

>.But the original music this went out from SpaceX with was much more
fitting:

http://youtu.be/NoxiK7K28PU

--s

Thanks Steve.  I am a big Johnny Cash fan since my childhood.  I like to see
baritones make it rather than all the tenors and such.

I recall my calcs from a long time ago that from a weights perspective a
feet first landing makes sense on a first stage under some circumstances.
It weighs more than a parachute-into-the-sea recovery, but if you plan
multiple launches and want fast recovery time, you can give away some first
stage performance in exchange for that cool feet first notion.  Besides
that, to those of us who grew up on Rod Rocket cartoons, it just looks cool,
and is far more dignified than having to be fished out of the sea.  Please
tell me I am not the only one here who loved Rod Rocket and Joey.

spike

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuc9X3GyUgJyDTwDfNaCPsJgAMybS0a_y3N
kBofi76LNcAeu5lYcqvh0IZ0A