[ExI] Digital Consciousness .

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 05:15:16 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 2:21 PM, spike <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

>>... On Behalf Of Stathis Papaioannou
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Digital Consciousness .
>
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 2:11 AM, Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at canonizer.com> wrote:
>
>> Oh and Stathis said:
>>
>> <<<<
>>> There is an argument from David Chalmers which proves that computers
>> can be conscious assuming only that (a) consciousness is due to the
>> brain and (b) the observable behaviour of the brain is computable.....
>
>>...The paper cited has nothing to do with the "Hard Problem" or the possibility of sharing experiences. It is just a proof that computers can be conscious. -- Stathis Papaioannou
>
> Not sure who wrote what above, apologies.
>
> We may be getting unnecessarily tripped over defining consciousness.  I am ready to concede Gordon's point that digital sims cannot be conscious in the same sense that bio-systems are, but I am really looking at the other bifurcation.  We may not need consciousness for a singularity to occur and create a simulation in which we might continue our existence.  We might be able to at least feel like we are conscious in there.

But digital sims *can* be conscious in exactly the same way
bio-systems can, provided that consciousness is due to the
bio-system's activity (rather than something like an immaterial soul)
and the bio-system's observable behaviour can be simulated. Otherwise
it leads to absurdity. See my follow up post to Gordon.

--
Stathis Papaioannou