[ExI] Digital Consciousness .

Gordon gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 25 19:13:09 UTC 2013

spike,

> Gordon this has been a valuable and insightful thread, and I am glad you came back.

Thanks.

> What it has really made me think about is that bifurcation I mentioned yesterday: a perfectly acceptable AI could arise without consciousness.

I agree. In fact, as I understand it, most AI researchers have long since given up hope of creating conscious, intentional (strong in the sense that I mean) AI on digital computers. They would be perfectly content to create what I call weak AI. Weak (unconscious) AI is now the holy grail, and sometimes they even call weak AI or AGI "strong". So I/we need to be careful about these terms.

Only here on ExI do I encounter plenty of people who still hope for conscious, intentional AI on digital computers, what I mean by strong AI. I assume this is because of the belief or hope common to many Extropians that we might someday achieve digital immortality.

>  Answer: the reason she slew her sister is that she hoped mystery-man would show up at the funeral.
 > If anyone figured it out easily and to whom that answer seems perfectly logical, please post me so I can put your ass on moderation forthwith, you scare me.

Heh. I didn't figure it out, so you have nothing to fear from me.

-Gordon