[ExI] Digital Consciousness .

Gordon gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 25 22:22:50 UTC 2013

John,

>> most AI researchers have long since given up hope of creating
>> conscious, intentional (strong in the sense that I mean) AI on digital
>> computers.

> they never even tried because nobody is fool enough to pay somebody to write a
> conscious computer program when there is no way to tell success from failure..

There may come a day when this is an ethical question. Let us say we create AI androids that appear to be alive and conscious. They walk among us ordinary meat-people. Will it be murder to shoot one? Or will it merely be property damage? I think it will depend on whether we have reason to think they actually know of their own existence.

I would like sometimes to shoot my stand-alone chess computer. It sometimes seems as if there is a cunning SOB living in that box. I think spike can relate. But I also know it would not be murder. My chess computer is no more conscious than a rock.

-Gordon