[ExI] Digital identity

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Apr 26 09:00:30 UTC 2013

Just a note: personal identity is probably in the same category of
flypaper philosophical concepts as intentionality, consciousness and
free will - it matters to many of our social institutions, everybody has
an opinion about it, yet it is not even clear there is anything the term
properly refers to.

On 26/04/2013 01:52, Alan Grimes wrote:
> Anders Sandberg wrote:
>> It depends on what kind of selfhood you are using.
>>
>> For example, if you regard selfhood as linked to having memories of
>> your past and overlapping core characteristics (say some cherished
>> personality traits) then there might not be a problem with enhanced
>> uploads. Or multiple copies of them. If you use some other selfhood
>> your identity might not be preserved in uploading, or perhaps even in
>> simple enhancement. Or even when passing through sleep.
>
> So what reward/benefit do I receive for adopting this definition? Why
> would I consider uploading when there are a hundred and one ways to
> modify my being, using technology even, which don't raise this issue?

Reward/benefit to *whom*? This is one of those tricky indexical
situations, where depending on your definition very different systems
matter and even the kind of benefit they gain differs.

Uploading can do things other technologies cannot do, like enabling
accurate backups, multiple realisation and all the benefits of having
easily upgradeable software body/minds. Very beneficial if you think it
is identity preserving... or think that creating a being in such a state
is a good thing, even if it is not you. The buddhist that doesn't think
identity exists at all can still want to have a world with more happy
and compassionate minds.

>> But which selfhood definition is true? I don't think there is a true
>> one. There is just stuff morphing across spacetime, and some parts of
>> the stuff use certain definitions. Selfhood is not a natural category
>> for most systems and there is no reason to think it has to apply to
>> transhumans.
>
> It can't not apply.
>
> If it didn't apply, you would just have either something akin to a
> book or, at best, a utility program that could be used to answer
> biographical queries about yourself.

In fact, it is a not uncommon philosophical view hereabouts that what
people exist in the same loose way that nations or clubs exist. So it
might be a good thing to have a person changing into another person if
that person has a better life. But those changes can be mergers and
splits, temporary dissolutions and reassemblies, or even recreations
with new components. That is why I regard Myself as the equivalence
class of all Anders-like processes. Right now there is just one
instance, but in the future there might be many different instances.
Where the boundary of Anders-likness goes will change over time as I
evolve, but what I think matters is that they are having fun and
enjoying their existence.

Note that Anders-the-book is an inert instance of the above equivalence
class: not a member since it is not doing anything, but if it could be
turned into an information processing process it would become an
instance (by a reader acting it out, say: "If Anders sees red, go to
page 46, if he sees green, go to page 82.")

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute