[ExI] Digital Consciousness .

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Fri Apr 26 15:09:20 UTC 2013

Hi Kelly,

<<
:-) I don't know what I've learned exactly... but I'm happy to have
explained what I believed already.

Yes, me fully understanding you, and having the ability to talk from within
your world view is critical to me being able to communicate to you, so I
appreciate your patience with my attempts to better understand your working
hypothesis.

<<
My brain hurts when I think about this stuff, is that a qualia that will be
able to be simulated?

You can simulate, or interpret anything as anything else, as long as you
have enough of it, and the interpretation mechanism that does the
interpretation at some level.  But still, the map is only like the
territory, to the degree that you are interpreting it as such.

Also, it only hurts because there are still a few missing pieces in the
puzzle or theory that enables you to fully understand things.  Once you
develop the appropriate models, everything suddenly makes sense, and
everything becomes easy (except trying to explain such to others that also
don't quite have a complete model.)

<<
Again, I get the quale that you are talking in circles.

There are no circles at all in my model.  It's all about what, where, and
how is an elemental redness quale, and what are the necessary and
sufficient neural correlates, of such.  What are the necessary and
sufficient conditions we must observe in someone's brain, to reliably know
and predict she is or isn't experiencing my redness quale.  Nothing
circular in any of that.

When I hear you try to describe your working models, all I see is a big
missing puzzle piece here.  To me, you are the one talking in circles.  You
say an elemental redness quale can 'arise' from a set of ones and zeros,
and to me that just sounds like "a miracle happens here" that can't be
explained, argument.  Tell me, without being circular, how and why a
redness quale can 'arize' from a set of ones and zeros.  And how is a
particular set of ones and zeros, from which a redness quale arises
different from a set from which a greenness quale arises.  And most
importantly, how are you going to come up with a set of ones and zeros to
come up with a new elemental quale you have never experienced before?  Your
theory doesn't account for any of that at all, that I can see.

Brent Allsop