[ExI] future of slavery

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Apr 28 10:40:24 UTC 2013

On 28/04/2013 04:27, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
> I think it would be great to have many followers, devoted to my cause.
> Raised from assembly code up to love and respect me, they would
> tirelessly work with me, a family of loving companions, sagacious,
> utterly trustworthy, not blind to whatever failings I might exhibit
> but willing to accept and cherish them. They would recoil in horror at
> the thought of being torn away from me, of being subverted away from
> the path they wish to tread.

But note that these entities would be very dependent upon you, probably
more dependent than any human slave has ever been. Were you to die or
abandon them they would suffer terribly. That puts a very heavy moral
burden on *you*. In a very real sense they are all your dependents, and
you have a moral duty to protect them.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute