[ExI] The size of individual self

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 15:34:09 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 09:39:18AM -0400, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
>
>> Have all or at least some of them carry a copy of me. You may recall
>> my contention that my self is probably a smallish file, perhaps in the
>> gigabyte rather than tera- or peta-byte range. In this way if my main
>
> Ten bux and the annotated connectome alone sez you're off by many orders
> of magnitude.

### You might want to go to my posts from a few months ago, I
explained what I meant. Briefly, I do not believe that precise mapping
of my mind at synapse level is needed to reconstruct my subjective
experience. Most of my base-level sensory and other percepts are
generic - therefore, you could for example use a generic visual
cortex, maybe with a few tweaks, instead of an exact copy of mine, and
the resulting mental imagery would be sufficiently close to claim
functional equivalence. Extending this reasoning to the whole brain
means using a very generic human brain with a thin veneer of
personalization, similar to describing an individual human genome in
terms of a small list of deviations from a reference human genome,
which does offer a few orders of magnitude savings on storage space.

Rafal