[ExI] Why We'll Never Meet Aliens

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 05:47:52 UTC 2013

Slashdot referenced an interesting blog post from Paul Tyma.
<http://paultyma.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/why-well-never-meet-aliens.html>

Quote:
Friday, April 26, 2013
Why We'll Never Meet Aliens

If you combine all our current knowledge of statistics and astronomy,
it's nearly comical to believe we're the only intelligent life in the
universe. It's easy to get lost in the numbers thrown around - there
are billions of stars and planets in our galaxy and billions of
galaxies. Humans are rather bad at fully understanding such large
numbers.

Despite where this article might lead, it isn't really about science -
its about thinking big. Big enough to consider that if there are any
aliens with the ability to come visit us, they would almost assuredly
not care to.

His basic point is one that I think I have mentioned before.
When a race reaches advanced tech to enable starships, it won't be the
only tech they have. Science in every field will have advanced,
including redesigning the species itself. We won't be talking about
humans like us in starships as in StarTrek. *Everything* will have
changed by then.

It is an interesting article. Lots of speculation, of course, and lots
to argue with!

BillK