[ExI] Digital Consciousness .

spike spike at rainier66.com
Mon Apr 29 18:34:54 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at canonizer.com>
wrote:

> Is there an infinite number of different crayons to be discovered?

Actually I can answer that with my old familiar mathematical toolbox.  The
number of crayons produced to date is finite and the number of different
crayons yet to be discovered is finite.  Reasoning: a crayon contains a
finite number of atoms, and every crayon is composed of atoms entirely from
this planet.  The number of atoms on this planet is finite, 10^48 is a close
enough order of magnitude estimate.  So even if we define a crayon as any
atom or any combination of atoms, the number of possible crayons is the
number of combinations of 10^48, which is finite.  Reaaaaaly really big, but
finite.

If you meant to ask, is the number of colors finite, I could argue this is
infinite, since a color can be defined as an arbitrarily small increment in
frequency of light reflected in any combination.  I would argue this is
infinite, even if our perception of these colors in finite.  I myself can
generally distinguish only about ten or so colors, or rather I know the
names of that number, the resistor color code.  I don't really perceive why
my son's crayon box needs 64 of them.

> Boy, what would a picture with all that be like?

I don't understand this term "like."  I sure hear it enough.  Makes me
crazy.

>...  Or, just as there is
> a limited number of elements, are there a limited number of elemental
> phenomenal qualities correlated to sets of them?

The elements are finite, the possible crayons are finite, the number
possible colors, infinite.