[ExI] phony google

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 18:30:44 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:
> Use a trustworthy browser and trustworthy plug-ins. Go to google.com (or
> search from the URLtoolbar). Use HTTPS instead of HTTP. Avoid Windows.
> Understand that no matter what you do, you can't be sure that some bad guy
> isn't listening/intercepting/redirecting anything/everything you do: you can
> only make it harder for them to do that.

you also can't be sure that when you are using the Real(tm) Google
that anything/everything you do isn't also copied to the gummint
snoops.  Your proposed evil might be an effective proxy (if you don't
mind the 'bad guys' using your computer)

"Avoid Windows" feels to me like advice of the kind "wear a tinfoil
hat" or "leave the TV on when you're not home."  It would be safer for
your parents and their friends to more easily "avoid computers" than
deal with the mess that is the Internet.