[ExI] lavabit.com takedown

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Aug 9 09:22:43 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 09:39:57AM +0200, Giulio Prisco wrote:

> Even more, I would not trust any company anywhere (do you really think
> other governments such as Russia and China are better than the U.S.?)

I do think that Iceland is better, but you're correct: do not
trust a single point of failure.

> I would use P2P services (which of course can be honeypot, so some
> care is needed also there).

In case of a distributed cryptographic system, no single node
has any clue what it is storing or routing. Only nodes tied to
a cryptographic identity contain cleartext information. Of
course the warm body behind such an entity can well be a mole,
what else is new.