[ExI] How effective is caloric restriction likely to be in humans?

Brian Manning Delaney listsb at infinitefaculty.org
Wed Aug 14 23:37:21 UTC 2013

Sitting in an airplane with screaming kids and unable to focus on
work... so I decided to go through my list of list email I intend(ed) to
respond to one day. Came upon the following! (Actually, I may have
responded briefly, without references.)

El 2010-03-25 18:08, Max More escribió:
> Unless I'm misinterpreting you, Damien, you are saying that Aubrey's
> argument as to why caloric restriction is unlikely to yield more than 2
> to 3 years of life extension is stupid and crackpotish. I'm not
> committed either way on the matter, but his argument does seem fairly
> plausible to me and doesn't contradict existing data that I'm aware of.
> (We will have to wait another couple of decades for useful data on
> non-human hominids.)
>
> So, why exactly are you dismissing Aubrey's critiquie of caloric
> restriction so harshly? What are you counter-arguments?

Two texts by Michael Rae speak to the question of the applicability of
CR to humans. One is a critique of Aubrey's paper
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23598682), the othor a more recent
analysis of the recently published, unexpected results of the NIA
primate CR study:

http://www.sens.org/research/research-blog/cr-nonhuman-primates-muddle-monkeys-men-and-mimetics

Brian