[ExI] [NSG-d] Alice Through the Event Horizon

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 19:27:37 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Steve Witham <sw at tiac.net> -----
>
> Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 22:04:32 -0400
> From: Steve Witham <sw at tiac.net>
> To: Nanotechnology Study Group - open discussion <nsg-d at marshome.org>
> Subject: [NSG-d] Alice Through the Event Horizon
>
> There's a new paradox at the intersection of quantum physics and
> general relativity.  In my dim understanding,
>
> Alice and Bob have become entangled.  They travel close to a big black
> hole, and Alice goes in, she crosses the event horizon.
>
> https://www.simonsfoundation.org/quanta/20121221-alice-and-bob-meet-the-wall-of-fire/

This is the black hole firewall paradox that has had physicists
puzzled since last year.

A solution has been proposed by a team of physicists that I haven't
found anyone arguing against.

This article by Ethan Seigel (a favorite blog) explains the problem
and the proposed solution.

 <http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2013/03/08/black-holes-wont-incinerate-you-after-all/>

BillK