[ExI] speed of light at the speed of light

Gordon gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 23 03:13:32 UTC 2013

Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

>What you're missing is time dilation.  That is, you appear to react slower to the universe/the universe speeds up from your point of view.  In both perspectives, the light >from your flashlight proceeds ahead at c, but your clock (by which you measure meters per second) slows down.

That is not my understanding of time dilation, or perhaps I misunderstand what you're saying. My clock on board the ship appears to me to work normally. It is only relative to some other clock perhaps back on earth it seems to slow down.

I'm flying along accelerating toward c. In the limit as I approach c, my flashlight still works normally from my perspective. If I shine it out the front window in the direction of my travel, that light will travel forward away from me at c. This might seem odd to me given my knowledge of my speed relative to earth. I might think "How can light travel at the ~2x the speed of light?" But my instruments will show me that the light from my flashlight travels at c, not 2c.

Correct?

>However, you also gain mass as you near c,

I gain mass in my own frame of reference? That is not my understanding. I'm not especially interested in how things seem from outside my ship.

Gordon