[ExI] God's God

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Sat Aug 24 17:44:00 UTC 2013

Hi Will,

Consciousness includes a whole boat load of stuff, including memory,
personality, phenomenal qualities, physical desires, decision making and
information processing systems, myriads of diverse perception
systems....  to mention just a few.  Could you be a bit more specific?
It helps, immensely, when people think and talk, a bit more clearly and
specifically, when talking about this kind of stuff.  Your question
could be interpreted and answered a million different ways, non of which
would communicate anything.  For example, I hope you're not claiming
that a rock, has the ability to perceive, and remember what it is
perceiving, like is included in my 'consciousness'?  But it sounds like
you are making that claim?

I'm in the following Emerging Expert consensus camps in this survey topic:
http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/88

Approachable Via Science
     Representational Qualia Theory
         Dualism
             Property Dualism
                 Mind-Brain Identity Theory

And in the non consensus camps at this more specific level:
                     Material Property Dualism
                         Macro Material Property Dualism

These camps predict that much of the physical stuff in the universe, at
least something in our brain, has ineffable phenomenal qualities that
are blind to cause and effect (requires qualitative interpretation)
observation to 'see', unless you know how to properly interpret what you
are abstractedly 'seeing'.

So, yes, if what you mean by "the entire universe is conscious", is that
the entire universe has these phenomenal or spiritual, if you will,
qualities which are blind to traditional causal observation, then yes, I
agree with you, it is likely that the entire universe has these
qualities, which our brain merges or uses to 'paint' our unified
phenomenal conscious experience with. And the emerging expert consensus
is clearly in this camp.

Given your question, it makes me wonder what you believe consciousness
is.  I'd sure like to know what camps you are in, and would love to find
out how many experts there are that agree with you, compared to the
existing camps, and be able to track this over time, as ever more
demonstrable scientific evidence comes in (soon to force us all into the
same camp).

Upwards,

Brent Allsop