[ExI] Silence in the sky—but why?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 12:46:31 UTC 2013

Anders tackles the Fermi paradox.

<http://phys.org/news/2013-08-silence-skybut.html>

Quote:
Dr Sandberg concludes: 'Our key point is that if any civilisation
anywhere in the past had wanted to expand, they would have been able
to reach an enormous portion of the universe. That makes the Fermi
question tougher – by a factor of billions. If intelligent life is
rare, it needs to be much rarer than just one civilisation per galaxy.
If advanced civilisations all refrain from colonising, this trend must
be so strong that not a single one across billions of galaxies and
billions of years chose to do it. And so on.

'We still don't know what the answer is, but we know it's more radical
than previously expected.'

So it is something inherent in 'intelligence'. Something that no
space-capable intelligence can avoid.

BillK