[ExI] Silence in the sky—but why?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Aug 26 14:09:46 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 02:31:11PM +0100, BillK wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > Yes -- it is being existance. It's either mystery factor
> > X, reliable against astronomical odds, or simply: we're
> > not in anyone's smart lightcone (but our own).
> >
> > Fermi's Paradoxon ain't.
> >

> Look for mystery factor X then.

Careful, Occam's razor is reeeeally sharp.

> The astronomical (!) time-scales mean that we would inevitably be in

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it
means.

> somebody's smart lightcone. The galaxy could have been colonised many
> times over.

And because it isn't, we're not in anyone's smart* light cone.

(* alive and capable of relativistic travel).

I realize that boring explanations are, well, boring. But it
doesn't mean we have to confabulate scenarios just because they're
more exciting. Reality doesn't care for what we want.