[ExI] Silence in the sky-but why?

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Aug 27 13:52:45 UTC 2013

----------------

So we don't even need a civ capable of relativistic travel. Just fire off
some probes to spam the galaxy. 10 million years is tiny compared with the
billions of years existence of the galaxy.
There should be a traffic jam of probes flying past the solar system.
Unless 'intelligence' decides that is a silly thing to do..........

BillK

In the grim scenario of my previous post, a temporarily intelligent species
might devise such a replicating probe and fire it toward the nearest star.
Then the intelligence of the species that created the probe decides such a
thing is a silly thing to do.  The intelligence on that planet settles back
to equilibrium, such as it apparently was here between the TK event 66
million years ago and about 2 MYA.  The probe is on its way by then, and
nothing the home civilization thinks or does can stop it.

In that view, we need to get building these probes before we are
collectively too stupid to do it.