[ExI] Silence in the sky-but why?

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 01:26:23 UTC 2013

How about:

A two-year old thinks "Why are there no other children in this nursery with
me?  I haven't learned object permanence yet, so since I can't see any
other children they must not exist.  There may or may not be parents or
caregivers but I also don't see them right now, so they don't exist
either.  Why am I all alone in the universe?"

For the sake of absurdity, let's also assume this child is a twin who has
been raised since birth in an identical room separated by a distance not
less than c m/s^2 that continues to travel apart from the other.  The
identity of indiscernibles suggest that both are asking why each is alone
in the universe.  By what definition of "alone" and "universe" are they
both correct?