[ExI] Silence in the sky-but why?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 17:50:42 UTC 2013

On Aug 28, 2013 10:31 AM, "BillK" <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Considering the size of the universe, galaxies without number as far
> as we can see, it seems unbelievably arrogant to say that humans are
> the only intelligent life.

What about claiming that Earth is the only life bearing planet?  That
leaves humans out of the direct argument; even if one believes all planets
with multicellular life eventually produce intelligent life, that would
still explain what we see.

Besides, arrogance is not a counterargument.  Many things that are, seem at
first to have such extreme emotional connotations if true that they can
not, must not be true...and yet they are.  The Holocaust happened.
Humanity evolved; it was not made ex nihilo by a supernatural entity.  And
so on.  If you want to prove there is intelligent life outside our solar
system, find evidence of it; until then, the evidence suggests we really
are alone and unique, no matter how unlikely that seems.