[ExI] Gail Tverberg

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 18:46:41 UTC 2013

I find this one of the more important articles I have seen in some time.

It's not only important that was have lots of non-polluting energy, it
must also be really cheap to get enough surplus for government
spending and economic growth.

http://theenergycollective.com/gail-tverberg/266116/oil-prices-lead-hard-financial-limits

Gail was at a space solar power conference recently and I was able to
pin her down as to just how cheap.  She made the case that decent
economic growth needed $30-$50 per bbl oil.  If we are making
synthetic oil from electric power, this corresponds to 1-2 cents per
kWh power.

(The actual formula is $10/bbl for the plant capital equipment charge
plus $20 per bbl for each cent per kWh paid for the electricity.  The
physics and chemistry is worked out here:
http://www.htyp.org/dollar_a_gallon_gasoline)

It's a worthwhile article to read.

Keith