[ExI] how to tame hurricanes

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Dec 15 21:56:35 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-15 18:32, John Clark wrote:
> Storms get their energy from the warm water on the ocean's surface, so
> if you could cool that surface layer you could reduce the power of a
> hurricane, one interesting idea for doing this is called a "Salter Sink".

It is a very neat idea, and I liked the rough analysis by Intellectual
Ventures.

My big concern is that it is based on the idea that a slight decrease in
surface water temperature is enough. Now received wisdom is that
hurricanes cannot form below a critical temperature of 28 degrees, which
seems to suggest that a slight tweak might reduce their incidence a fair
bit. But first, when I read up on hurricane thermodynamics I found that
Kerry A. Emanuel (the doyen of the field) rather clearly states that
this is not a strict limit: this just represents a level where
hurricanes usually don't get squashed by the trade winds. More
seriously, once a hurricane has formed, it gains energy from heat
released by evaporated or aerosolized water. At this point small
temperature differences do not matter much, since a one degree
difference is still just ~1/300 of the total heat. So it might be that
the sinks do not have much of an effect.

In the end the only thing that can settle it is to run a proper
hurricane model over a Salter sea, which requires either some good
simulations or experimental outdoors work.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute