[ExI] how to tame hurricanes

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Dec 15 23:51:29 UTC 2013

Subject: Re: [ExI] how to tame hurricanes

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 6:03 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>>.the dimensions given, they could come in at
4 tons each, so a carrier could easily haul a few thousand of them.

>.That will be a nice recycling of your old warships.  I had a much more
aggressive recycling project in mind though:  use the various so-called
"garbage islands" as feedstock for a floating fabber to make these devices.
Perhaps that won't populate the ocean with jillions quite as quickly... but
it puts the existing junk to better use than throwing more plastic [and
polystyrene(?!)] into the ocean.

Excellent, that's thinking.

Regarding that garbage island, I had some ideas on how to deal with that,
but I am having my doubts now.  Is it possible the whole thing is an urban
legend?  Why can't I find it on Google Earth?  If it really is 90 ft thick
in places, why wouldn't that be worth it to go out there with a dredge and
haul it on board and recycle or incinerate the stuff?  And why is it that we
hear so much about all that debris ending up on Yankee beaches from that big
tsunami in Japan, but not the debris which was supposedly already out there?
And why is it I never see pictures of it taken from airliners, and never
hear of guys seeing it from aircraft over the Pacific?  I sometimes get a
vague feeling that whole trash island notion is exaggerated.