[ExI] how to tame hurricanes

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 00:44:32 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 12:20 AM, Mike Dougherty wrote:
> > I've never seen a baby pigeon either but I suspect they do exist.  :p
>
> Surely not ALL those google images for "garbage gyre" are fake.

Yup, they're fake.  Or rather, there are floating landfill sites,
which get photographed, but they are near islands or cities that have
run out of landfill space. They are not the Great Pacific Garbage
Patch.

See:
<http://io9.com/5911969/lies-youve-been-told-about-the-pacific-garbage-patch>
The photo here is in Manila harbour.
(Think about it - You don't get canoeists in the middle of the
Pacific, do you?). :)

I am not saying that the Ocean plastic soup is not a serious problem
(and getting worse), but the Pacific plastic has mostly broken down
into very small pieces.

BillK