[ExI] data are lost to science at 'astonishing rate'

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 11:23:25 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM, spike  wrote:
> My point is that as science loses data at an appalling rate,
> history loses data even more quickly.  The libraries of Alexandria are
> burning furiously to this day, with far more fuel than in 642 AD.

I think that we shouldn't make the simple assumption that the
intention is always to keep *all* data. Or even keep it without
changes.

There are political examples of politicians removing all trace of
disliked predecessors from their recorded history. Famous photographs
with people removed, etc. We notice some of them now, but will future
researchers?

Similarly scientific research can be ignored if it is not approved.
Not all by deliberate removal, though that has occurred. e.g. Lysenko,
Rascher,  Mengele, Tesla?, etc.

Sometimes scientists remove files themselves, when early research
reflects badly on their present career. Everybody has embarrassing
episodes in their life that they would prefer were forgotten.

With the terabytes of data that are now being created, we need some
kind of curating system where only 'important' data is retained.
Though that decision is tricky as re-analysis of old data can bring
new surprises.

BillK