[ExI] confused trees and bees

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Dec 23 20:10:41 UTC 2013

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
Sent: Monday, December 23, 2013 10:04 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] confused trees and bees

On Dec 23, 2013 8:22 AM, "spike" <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>>. With the possibility of low cost instruments and data loggers, we are
mechanizing one aspect of science: we can collect observations.  But those
instruments cannot ponder what they are measuring.  We have the possibility
of a stunning replication of observational opportunities, but at the same
time we may be suffering from a decline in our collective capacity to
interpret what we are seeing.

>.Why does this bother you?  The solution is obvious: find a way to
mechanize the pondering too.  Some folk have already been doing this, albeit
only with laboratory demonstrators so far.

Adrian, this is why I referenced Darwin's stunning seventh chapter of Origin
of Species, and I do hope everyone takes a few minutes to read that chapter,
or part of that chapter, or even a few paragraphs.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/origin/chapter7.html

Much of the reason evolution theory is still so misunderstood is that most
people read what others wrote about Origin of Species rather than reading
Origin of Species.  Darwin wrote the very best explanation of evolution I
have read to date, and I have read plenty of them.  He was a master at
turning observation into insight.  The language is within reach of typical
high school graduates, and the guy just comes off as a super-smart friendly,
kindhearted, nineteenth century Anders Sandberg except with a huge beard.
You feel like he would be your friend if you met him even once.

Regarding your notion of mechanizing this process of observation to insight,
or inductive reasoning, I would argue we are nowhere close to this, not even
close, not on the horizon.  There have been a few dozen humans in all of
history who are stellar at this, Newton, Darwin, Gould, Asimov, Sagan are
five examples who come to mind.  These are stellar paragons of virtue in
explaining scientific observation down to the layman.  It feels to me like
we need some kind of mechanism for handing scientific observations back up
to them.

I don't think we are anywhere near software capable of this.