[ExI] Royal Pardon for Alan Turing

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 21:51:08 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 9:22 PM, Will Steinberg wrote:
> The fact that they denied the same pardon but a year ago makes it seem like
> an empty gesture.  This is the government that drove one of the greatest
> geniuses of our time to suicide by STERILIZING him...

Earlier governments did much worse than that.
Heretics and witches were tortured and burnt at the stake. Capital
punishment was common. Slavery was normal.
The Royal Pardoner will be very busy if all earlier wrongs are to be
righted (by our current standards).

This is likely to be a permanent job as future generations will
probably want to pardon a lot of the things we do nowadays.

BillK